- SMART CLOTHES: No down jackets allowed. Black tie or as fancy as you can manage, and shoes you can dance in!
- SLEEPING BAG AND ROLL MAT: the hut can be pretty cold so if you only have a lightweight one bring warm pjs! We don’t have bunks in this hut so a roll mat/ yoga mat will make sleeping much more comfortable!
- Comfy enough to carry all day
- Bring a waterproof cover, dry bags or a big plastic bag to keep your stuff dry if it rains!
- WATERPROOFS: This one is important- you’ll be cold and miserable if you don’t have them! Need to buy some? Mountain Warehouse and Go Outdoors will have cheap basic ones that should do.
- FOOTWEAR: Walking boots are ideal: we are expecting rain and maybe even some snow, so trainers won’t really be great- if they’re all you have, make sure they have really good grip! If you need to buy a pair of boots, again, Mountain Warehouse, Go Outdoors and Sports Direct should have some decent cheaper pairs.
- WARM CLOTHES!!!: Being cold ain’t fun. Bring a LOT of layers, fleeces and thermals if you have them. If you need cheap fleeces and base layers get to Go Outdoors, and Primark. Primark also have cheap down jackets in at the moment if you want to look like a ‘real’ climber! The more warm clothes, the better!
- Try to avoid things like jeans and cotton t-shirts/hoodies. If they get wet they won’t keep you warm and take aaaages to dry. Sports clothes and technical fabrics are much better
- HAT, GLOVES and SCARF: Cheap ones will do. A Buff/ neck gaitor is better than a scarf if possible (can find them cheaply online). Multiple pairs of gloves are also a shout so you can switch them out if they get wet.
- CLIMBING GEAR: If you don’t have any, no worries, we’ll lend you it. If you do, bring everything you got: Helmets, harnesses, shoes, belay devices, ropes and gear! Winter is in btw.
- FOOD: We’ll be having fancy dinner on Saturday night, but for the rest of the weekend it’s up to you- so that’s two breakfasts, two lunches and two days’ worth of snacks. We have a small kitchen in the hut so you can heat things up for breakfasts etc. Bring lots of snacks and cereal bars to keep energy and psyche levels high when you’re out climbing!
- Portable battery charger: Phones die in the cold, this could be handy!
- Camera: the Lake district is hella pretty, get snapping!
- Alcohol: If drinking is your thing, feel free!
- If you don’t fancy going a whole weekend without a shower, bring a small towel and wash kit.